Friday, October 19, 2012

Why Do We Own These?

I know Red Box and Netflix have made actually owning movies out of style, but I like to still have a pretty decent collection, just in case you get snowed in and the internet goes out.  And there are certain movies that I am very glad we own because we really do watch them. Sometimes you just really want to watch Terminator 2, Pulp Fiction, or True Grit (lets be honest, that is when I am alone...WE watch Coal Miner's Daughter, Mean Girls, and Under the Tuscan Sun).  And it sounds weird but both Beth and I find all of the Lord of the Rings trilogy incredibly relaxing to watch or just have on in the back ground.  In fact, whenever we are able to have the opportunity to take a nap, we like to turn it on just to fall asleep to.  I think it is that lullaby like theme music that plays throughout.  But anyway, I was looking at our movie collection yesterday, and we own some really odd movies that I am not sure that we have ever watched more than once.  Some of  them are really good movies, but not ones you find the desire to watch over and over.  These are the worst offenders:


1) The Village - 




We have other Shyamalan movies, like Signs and Sixth Sense.  But The Village is by far the most pointless to own.  Of course, Shyamalan has stuck in his head that every movie has to have "twist" at the end....this has apparently been much to his detriment.  But Signs and Sixth Sense are still scary, even after you know the twist at the end.  The Village isn't.  It has those moments at the very end, but after you are clued in on the twist after the first time you see it, the movie is never the same.


2)  American Beauty



I have no idea how we wound up with this.  Don't get me wrong, it is a great movie with a great theme that is executed perfectly.  Probably one of Spacey's best.  But it is pretty horrifically depressing.  Once you have seen the ending, you really don't care to ever see it again. 


3) The Others

Same thing as the Village, with the big twist at the end.  I will say that the movie does still hold a high creepy factor even after you know that (SPOILER ALERT) they are all ghosts.

4) Riding in Cars with Boys



Now I know this one is connected to Beth somehow.  It is probably one of Drew Berrymore's best.  But again, horribly depressing, even if it does end up "ok".  

5) Someone Like You




I just found this one in our entertainment center and I am giving Beth credit for it.  It is some kind of romantic comedy with Ashley Judd and Hugh Jackman made in 2001.  I have never seen it and could not tell you anything about it.  I didn't even know we had it until five minutes ago, and we have probably had it for ten years.

Well, that is enough DVD collection bashing for now.  I just found The Fellowship of the Ring playing on Encore.  Frodo and company just arrived at the Prancing Pony. For some reason, I am getting really sleepy.

No comments:

Post a Comment