Monday, January 23, 2012

Frankenstein

Well, I abandoned the Nook for a "real" book for a month or so, picking up one of my old AP English books from high school.  Now, this is a real horror story.  And it is surprisingly easy to read for being written almost 200 years ago.  Even more amazing when you consider that it was written by a 19 year old that got scared from a night of story telling (from her weirdo husband).  I can still remember reading this when I was 17 and being impacted by the description of the desolated world of the lab in the Orkneys.  And of course, the best part is that in the end, it really isn't about good vs evil, in the traditional sense like a horror movie or story would be about today.  The good vs evil fight is in the heart of humanity, seen in both Victor and the monster.  Of course, the part that definitely does not translate into modern story telling is how articulate the monster is about his emotions.   Can you imagine imagine Michael Meyers delivering a five minute monologue about his emotional needs after he kills someone?  Also, the whole Victor marrying his step sister thing wouldn't go over too well either.  

Also, I thought about how the Robert Deniro movie does a pretty good job, except that it focuses way too much on the process of actually making the monster, which the book pretty much skims over.

Not sure what to read next.  I downloaded 4,200 pages of classic poetry to my Nook (for the low price of $4.99), so I will have plenty to read for a while.  I need to focus on finishing some of my own stories.   Seriously!!!    

PS...a reference to Rhyme of the Ancient Mariner in this book got me to go back and read that poem again too.

Like one who, on a lonely road,
Doth walk in fear and dread,
And, having once turned round, walks on,
And turns no more his head;
Because he knows a frightful fiend
Doth close behind him tread.

No comments:

Post a Comment